Tuesday, April 25, 2006

After All, It's All About MeMe

A meme I swiped from the one and only High Desert Diva.

List 6 weird or little known facts about yourself:

1. I am an obsessive hand-washer...and it’s not because I’m trying to cleanse my sins away (Out, out, damn spot!) as there is no amount of water or soap in the universe that could do that. I just really like to keep my hands clean. I don’t mind getting them dirty, as long as I can clean them immediately afterwards. My obsession leaves the skin on my hands dry and cracked all the time. I put lotion on my skin, but it gets washed off not too long afterwards…

2. Another obsessive thing: now, I don’t think this is such a bad OCD to have. After locking the door to my house or car, I have to hold and turn the doorknob or pull the handle on my car door to make sure that the door is locked before I walk away…this also goes for windows...I check all doors and windows before leaving somewhere/something. There have been times when I’ve been in a rush and was in my car on the way to work and had to turn around and go home to check the door before being able to proceed with my day.

3. I interned at Miramax for almost two years. I worked mainly in Standards & Practices, which is getting to watch movies and read scripts and flagging all the profanities, obscenities, and nudity…then making a list of all that to be sent to an editor who took all that good stuff out. Not a bad gig. After about a year I also started to help the DVD production department with chapter stops…and a few DVD menu approvals. Basically, 'chapter stops' is the 'technical term' for what goes in to making the scene selections page. It involves watching a flick (preferably with VISIBLE TIME CODE!) and cutting the movie into chapters. I decided where a chapter/scene should begin and end and noted the time code where that happens. Then I titled the chapter and chose a thumbnail image for the scene selections page. They didn’t let me do the really big titles, though. I didn’t get to do "Sin City" or "The Aviator"...I was given all the stuff that the DVD production managers DIDN’T want to do...like all the foreign acquisitions, bad sci-fi acquistions, the really crappy Miramax/Dimension titles...like "Sharkboy & Lavagirl"... I have so many stories...which I won't get in to...but here's a few closing bits: I think the 'biggest' Miramax title I worked on was "The Great Raid" (the theatrical cut, not the extended version...although they did use my theatrical cut stops as the template for the extended)...the title I’m most proud of was "Hellraiser 8: Hellworld" because none of my chapters or titles were changed (and I even used the title of a Marilyn Manson song as one of my chapter titles!...hehe)... Even if a title sucked, it was still fun to do the chapter stops...it’s kind of interesting to have your work 'immortalized'...and then to be able to go to Best Buy and see the DVDon the shelf and be like "I worked on this DVD!"...good times...

4. I dress in black almost every day...and at my job I deal with mainly girl-targeted properties like "Strawberry Shortcake"...so I'm constantly surrounded by tons of pink (or, rather, lightish red!). I feel like I work inside a pink fortress...and I usually listen to black metal (black as in Satanic, not African) at my desk...helps get me through the day...

5. I have two tattoos: one of a cartoon porcupine I used to draw (named Porci!) and the other of the Grim Reaper holding an hourglass. Yeah, I don’t really have a theme going with the pictures I have permanently etched into my body. I’m looking to get a third (and possibly fourth!) one this year...

6. I have seen some very disgusting and filthy things in my lifetime so far (some things real, but mostly staged stuff in movies) and I can handle almost anything...except ANYTHING involving eyeballs. If it involves an eye popping out of its socket, being stabbed, or whatever, I cringe, have to cover my eyes, and even get nauseous...and I have Sam Raimi (a talent I truly respect) to blame for that. I’ve been this way ever since I saw "Evil Dead II" when I was young (and this was before I knew who Sam Raimi or Bruce Campbell were or what Evil Dead was). It’s all because of a scene involving what people involved with Evil Dead called a "flyball"...an eye that came out of a ghoul’s socket and flew across the room into a screaming girl’s mouth...yecccchhh...


Henrietta: I'll swallow your soul! I'll swallow your soul! I'll swallow your soul!
Ash: [Aims shotgun at Henrietta's face] Swallow this.

The previous post's quote was from "Coming to America"
Rev. Brown = Arsenio Hall

2 Comments:

Blogger Doug Murata said...

This is and isn't fun for me. It is fun because I like reading about your quirks and such. (I've known it for years, and I'm still amazed at how eyes freak you out!) And it isn't fun because I've heard all of this before! Oh well.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Squiggle said...

That sounds like an ultra cool job ... BOth of them actually ... the high proportion of pink must mean there's a high percentage of ladies? No?

That eye thing isn't too uncommon, I know someone who is exactly the same.

3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home