Thursday, April 27, 2006

Wii? But why?

Scott's note: the below pic was added on May 1, 2006 as an appendix to the story below. From VGCats.com:





I just read a report on the MTV News site (which is just about the only thing MTV is actually good for...and even then...but that's a whole different blog post altogether) that Nintendo has officially named their new system "Wii" (pronounced "we")...and to think the system used to be called "Revolution." Their reps go into a whole line of thinking defending the greatness of such a name that could be used worldwide, but I just don't get it (well, I 'get it,' but I'm not over the moon about the new system in any way, shape, or form). First the weird controller...now the funky name...and the first games they'll be developing are Madden, Tony Hawk, and Super Monkey Ball... ... ...my, how revolutionary...

The only cool thing I've heard about this system is that gamers will be able to download older titles released on previous Nintendo systems...although I'm sure that doesn't mean EVERY Nintendo game (will I be able to download Sqoon by any chance?)...and does that mean it'll download to the system's hard drive and you get to keep it, or is it a subscription deal? Hmmm... needless to say, I don't think I'll be buying this system...and if I do, it'll definitely not be when the damn thing first comes out. Nintendo's last two systems flopped harder than a fat wet tit (well, the N64 did have Goldeneye and the GC brought us the first incarnation of Animal Crossing), so yeah...I'm perfectly happy with just my PlayStation 2 right now (and the occasional trip down memory lane with my NES and SNES systems)...

I'm actually not really looking forward to any of the new systems (especially with the PS3's $700 price point). Gaming is just getting too huge and complex. I can't handle Socom and these massive 3D environments where things are coming at you from all angles constantly... I can handle World of Warcraft because at least in that game you can choose to go at your own pace and there are virtually no time limits... But yeah, I miss the times when gaming was fun and relatively simple. I had (and still have) so many games for the NES and SNES. I remember when I could go to a toy or game store and want so many titles...now it's hard to convince myself to buy a new game. As the systems get newer, bigger, better, faster, my library of new games gets way smaller. It means nothing to me to have pretty graphics if it's a craptastic and/or way too complex game. I'd take Gemfire over all of this new 'better' shit any day.


Red Queen: I've been a bad, bad girl.

The previous post's quote was from "Jason X"
Brodski = Peter Mensah
Rowan = Lexa Doig

1 Comments:

Blogger Doug Murata said...

Yeah. I was just getting used to calling it the Revolution, too. I'd forgotten that that was simply the codename. I'm not looking forward to this machine at all. (However, I said that about the Nintendo DS, and, like you said, there's Animal Crossing for it. Time will tell, I guess. However, that name really doesn't jive with me.)

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home