Friday, December 01, 2006

The Dreams in Which I'm Dying are the Best I've Ever Had

Currently listening to: "Spot the Psycho" by Cornbugs

This is about a thought I've had for a while and it's not often that I talk to people about dreams, but with the reappearance (in my life) of the Gary Jules cover of the Tears for Fears song "Mad World" due to the XBOX360 game Gears of War, it brought up this idea/feeling in my mind again...

The line in the song implies that death is more of a release from the, well, mad world...but I'm taking this from the standpoint that a dream about dying would be a bad thing... Now, I would actually rather have a bad dream than a good dream. I've had some gnarly near-death, plummeting to my death, being chased by people who want to kill me, family members dying, etc, dreams and those are always bitchin' to wake up from because everything is OK when your consciousness snaps back into reality. In a "good" dream one experiences a wide variety of the unfathomable, the magical, the impossible...or perhaps just the out of reach...you fly, have super strength, are rich, get laid...but when you wake up from that shite it's all gone...what's the good in that? Once I had a dream (when I was in elementary school) where I had a suitcase full of foreign money - from ALL over the world...and you know how some foreign money can have a large number on the bill but then it only exchanges into a few U.S. bucks, ja? Well, for whatever reason in the dream it was legal in the U.S. to pay for stuff with foreign money and the currency amount printed on the money had to translate into U.S. dollars one for one...so 10,000 yen would be 10,000 dollars. I was rich...! Then my ass woke up...and I wasn't rich... ... ...not to say that being rich would necessarily make me happy and it's not like I'm poor, but that's still a shitty dream to wake up from....

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm.... Donnie Darko. mmm... Mad world. thats a cover song that should have been on the list man. seriously. what a great freaking unreleased soundtrack. they couldnt get the rights to release all the great songs in that movie. only the score and that song. bummer.

my dreams always amaze the hell out of me. they are always so real. i feel those emotions, i taste and smell and see and every sense is alive and in overdrive in my dreams. but sometimes i dream about stuff thats too real. stuff that... when i wake up, i wonder if it could or will happen.

sometimes, it does.

3:53 PM  
Blogger paula said...

I love me some Donnie Darko. "Why are you wearing that silly man suit?"

My last few dreams have involved my ex's. Gah. Happy dreams, even. Sick, I tell ya. Just SICK.

:|

4:22 PM  
Blogger Doug Murata said...

I usually tell people that I don't dream. Then they get on my case and tell me that I must dream or I'd go insane. Then I say that that should explain some things.

I had a dream a few days ago. I was playing football (which was weird because I've never played football.) I was a wide receiver and was in just one play where I didn't do anything (the quarterback ran the ball in for a touchdown.) Then I went to the bench while the special team went to kick the ball for the extra point. It was at this point that a commercial jet crashed into the stadium and stopped just in front of me. Nobody even flinched when this happened. Then I woke up. It was weird.

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did a jet engine fall from your roof and kill you? but you went back in time to choose to live so the girl you love actually die? is there a man in a football uniform giving you ideas in your head? do you have a digital clock display drawn on your arm?

do you belong to sparkle motion?

has patrick swayze ever touched your private man parts? lol

6:23 PM  
Blogger Vetcha said...

It slipped my mind, yikes. Anyway, its better late than never, ryt?

Happy Birthday, Scott! A Lot more to come!

3:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home