Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I'm Not Your Performing Monkey!

Currently listening to: "Decadent & Desperate" by Mortiis

I've been listening to all sorts of music all morning long that has made me think back to experiences at concerts...everything from the giant circle pit that took up the whole arena floor at the sole trek of The Pledge of Allegiance tour to that guy (who looked like he was) in his mid-40's that was jumping around like a kangaroo on speed at a Cranberries concert (remember that, Doug?)...

One thing that kind of pisses me off at concerts is when the performers onstage ask the crowd to do stuff...everything from clapping along to a beat, to jumping up and down at a certain point, to rushing the arena floor, to getting your middle fingers in the air, to singing along (or singing the words instead of the vocalist saying anything)... I'm not YOUR performing monkey, bitches! You are MY performing monkey! I'm paying YOU to jump and dance and sing... Personally, most of the time I just stand there and observe...I like seeing how the people perform, how they play the guitar parts, and all that jazz...

At the recent Blessed concert I went to, another AZ band called Element A440 opened...they were OK at some points, really bad others...and they took so long to setup and to fix their technical difficulties...and to tune a guitar in the middle of the set...but that's besides the point... I was right up front and towards the end of their set, the vocalist made a b-line for me at a part in the song where he was just screaming and fuckin' SCREAMED in my face for what seemed like forever...and I was just standing there...not knowing what to do...and, of course, not really wanting to do anything anyways...did he expect me to scream along or something? I can only imagine the look on my face as I was thinking in my head "Why are you screaming in my face?"...I know, an odd question to think to one's self at a rock concert, but still...I'm not his performing monkey and I'm not going to do something just because someone tells me to or because they're trying to get a reaction out of me... When he was done he just kind of patted my head like you would a dog when it obeys orders...then went about finishing the rest of the song...and I was still just standing there...thinking about how the first thing I would do when I got home would be to wash my hair...

3 Comments:

Blogger Doug Murata said...

Good lord! I couldn't stop laughing when I read that! The dude actually patted you on the head!? Maybe he thought you were cute.

You saw the live-action Jungle Book movie with Jason Scott Lee and Cary Elwes, right? Do you remember the end? Mowgli (Jason Scott Lee) is facing off against Shere Khan (the tiger,) and Shere Khan roars in his face. His response was screaming back. When the dude was done, you should have just started yelling back! Just to screw with his head.

You have an interesting life, Scott.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

HAHA! Yeah, I remember that! I'll try to remember that next time...!

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooohhh when i saw tool, the coolest thing is when Maynard started crackin jokes about wanting us to support his cause. what was his cause? to buy a solid gold escelade. we all laughed hysterically.

i love it when the band gets all personal! hell i got sweated on by trent reznor and bled on by Ogre from skinny puppy. it was outstanding. but if either one of them would have gotten into my face... i wouldnt have known what to do either.

thats not true. i would have frekaing kissed either one of them.

you should do that next time.

thats outta freak em out. lol

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home