Tuesday, May 24, 2005

My Candy Bowl

So I have a bowl of candy sitting on my desk at work. What prompted me to make free eats available at my cubicle was so I could get to know people better. When I first started here people would pass by my desk and not say anything...and I generally have a hard time taking the initiative in talking to people anyways. Now I have a lure...

Even though I know pretty much everybody now, I still continue to provide various kinds of candy (mostly miniatures of Snickers, Crunch, Butterfinger, Starburst...typical stuff) for the work folk. It still gets most people to stop at the desk for a few minutes, which is a good thing in most cases. I've run into a few 'problems' with certain greedy vultures, but whatever...when you take a step like this, it comes with the territory. I even did a test where I left the bowl full when I left for the night only to return the next day and find the bowl half empty. Bastards...

Ok, so now that you have all the background info, I was thinking: "If I were to put something weird/out of the ordinary in the bowl, what would it be?" Now, I don't mean stuff like excrement or cat eyeballs or anything. I mean something that people actually might want to consume. The only thing I could think of was packets of various kinds of pills like Tylenol, Bayer, Advil, etc. But not only could that get pricey, I don't think it would be the greatest idea to have a bowl full of drugs at work. I don't know...which is why I'm posting this on the blog to get other peoples's thoughts. I look forward to all your crazy-ass suggestions.

9 Comments:

Blogger freshyuzu said...

ah.. cindy beat me to it.. I'd go with vitamins, too. You could also do cough drops, Altoids - Tangerine Sours, or Apple Sours (they keep me awake in class), little candles, mints, batteries? :P

8:10 PM  
Blogger Gregg Lander said...

How about Thimbles? Or marbles? One thing that comes to mind is that you don't want to mix candy and non-edible objects in case somebody is actually stupid enough to accidentally eat one of the aforementioned objects. Hey - you never know.

That being said, other ideas include postage stamps, rubber bands and paperclips, Crest Whitestrips (I have a whole box I'd be happy to donate toward the cause), band-aids, and of course, tiny figurines that you've hand-carved from rocks you find in the parking lot into the shapes of the faces of the people you work with. But of course that might take a little time...

9:03 AM  
Blogger Doug Murata said...

Thumbtacks. Definitely thumbtacks. If you want, put razors in there, too. And regular candy. If they don't check, that's their fault!

Get a salt lick and make tiny cubes out of it. Tell everyone they're sugar.

Just get the yucky candy that everyone hates getting at Halloween.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Excellent ideas everyone! I loved reading all your responses. You all definitely gave me some ideas and got the gears turning. I very much appreciate everyone's input...and I'm not trying to play favorites, but Raza, I like your style! Yesterday I also thought about getting little packets of ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, saltines...whatever they have available at the cafeteria here on the lot!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Doug Murata said...

I can't believe I didn't think of that finger!

Scott, if you want little packets of things, I've got ketchup, mustard, mayo, and honey.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Doug Murata said...

Of course you fit in! I keep breaking into your fantasy world, remember? We know all about you. Changing the locks won't work! Ha ha ha!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Doug Murata said...

Um... no. I can't do it! Who's who!?

4:23 PM  
Blogger Doug Murata said...

Not quite. Doug and Gregg are in-laws (because of Gregg and Cindy's nuptials as you've guessed.) Scott, Cindy and Doug are all siblings. Not bad, though!

I don't think you're dining on foot tonight.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Doug Murata said...

When the cat's away...

I love those days!

12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home