Thursday, December 07, 2006

PMS!

Currently listening to: "Burn in Hell" by Mercyful Fate

In my office, PMS can relate to TWO things...the first one is the obvious one, especially since I work with a lot of women and gay men...the second might not be as obvious as PMS also stands for Pantone Matching System. Pantone is a standard in the industry I work in and they create guides for more accurate communication of color in artwork. So if I want a specific shade of brown to go on a product and PMS469C is my desired color, then I communicate "PMS469C" to whomever I'm directing the orders to so I don't have to say "Could you make like a chocolatey brown, but try to make it fall somehwere between the color of milk chocolate and dark chocolate...?"... Nothing would ever get done (correctly), so the PMS is actually very helpful. What gets me is that some licensees give us the PMS callout number, but then they also come up with ridiculous names for the colors as well...and it's not like dark brown, light pink, or anything like that... Listed below are some names I've come across recently on product submissions and I've also listed 'common terms' to describe what the color actually is:
FIRE BLADE RED - it's really just your typical fire engine red
VANILLA GLASS - standard creme color
SAGE LAGUME - greyish green
VIOLET PASSION - red wine colored
WINTER APRICOT - a dull, dingy orange color
YELLOW STAR - a dull, dingy yellow color
VALLEJO TAN - dark khaki
BISCOTTI - beige
BABY FRENCH TERRY - dull pink
LIME SPLENDOR - it's just green
ALLEY PINK - interestingly enough, 'Alley Pink' has the same shade of 'the good kind of pink' if you know what I mean...

There's an endless supply of weird color names out there, but these were the most interesting recent ones...

4 Comments:

Blogger Doug Murata said...

Anybody ever say "lightish red?"

3:39 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Sadly, no...but I do have a sign at my desk that displays the famous phrase...!

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol Diva sage legume sounds like a dish served with noodles.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Squiggle said...

"ALLEY PINK - interestingly enough, 'Alley Pink' has the same shade of 'the good kind of pink' if you know what I mean..."

Hahahahahahahahaha!

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home