Wednesday, February 07, 2007

OK, I get it...

"Bad is never good until worse happens." ~ Danish Proverb

Y'know, when I was much younger I always wondered why my Dad had like 6 recordings of the same damn piece of classical music. It made no sense to me... But I just previewed about 5 different recordings in my quest to find a good recording of "Carmina Burana"...I put my favorite track to the test ("Fortune plango vulnera ")...on one the choir ennunciated the words better and on another the drums were just killer but on both everything would get drowned out at the climax...another sounded great but they rushed through the climax in what can only describe as the musical equivalent of a randy dog humping someone's leg... I settled on the Deutsche Grammophon release done by the Berlin Orchestra because it sounded great and had the perfect pacing. I may end up picking up one or two of the other recordings because there were parts of those that I liked...but the Berlin one was the superior version in my opinion. I remember going through a similar problem some years back when I was looking for a version of "Peer Gynt" where "In the Hall of the Mountain King" had a choir (most of the recordings I came across didn't, to my surprise...because it sounds so bad-ass with the choir)...but in that case I didn't really pay attention to the way the music was orchestrated or analyze the resonance of the timpani or think about how this part was faster in that recording to this recording or whatever...I just wanted to hear voices. I listen to a lot of metal and when I go to see the bands I like play live, often they'll change up parts here and there which can evoke a different emotion and feel from the song...so it's odd that I never really thought of classical in that way. When I really sat and analyzed and heard the way different parts were being played on "Fortune plango vulnera ," faster, slower, one instrument being more prominent at this part or the other, it really changed the entire mood of the piece. Not that I ever knocked my Dad for buying half a dozen different recordings of the same thing...I just never understood...but yeah, after a quarter of a century of existence on this filthy rock we call Earth, I get it...buy away, Dad...

1 Comments:

Blogger Doug Murata said...

I discovered that when I was looking for recordings of Mozart's Requiem and Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D minor.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home