Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Soundtrack, Vol. 1 - The Road Trip

Currently listening to: "American Witch" by Rob Zombie

So here's a new 'feature' I'm trying out here on the blog...I'm still planning on bringing the trivia back, thanks for your patience!... Every two weeks each Tuesday (because that's when CDs come out! hehe...), starting today, I'm going to come up with a theme to create a soundtrack to...like "Songs for a Rainy Day" or "Songs to Slit Your Wrist By"
or "Songs to March Through Hell With"...I kinda dig that last idea...hmmm...but you get the picture. I'll come up with my list of songs and hopefully you'll come up with yours...please leave them in the comments section of this post.

A few guidelines: there really are no rules, but I figured I'd give this experiment some sort of structure...to keep it simple, come up with a list of ten songs. That seemed like the most reasonable number to me. I know you could fit more than ten 'standard length' songs onto a recordable CD, but, um, yeah...and be reasonable in not choosing like ten concertos or symphonies that are 20 minutes in length each...try to make it not go over 80 minutes...

For the first installment, I chose the easiest possible theme I could think of: a road trip compilation...

For me, especially since I haven't done a road trip alone yet, I find that I have to play a mix of stuff that would please not just myself, but the passengers in my car. With my friends, Rammstein is generally a rather safe choice...and we also like to listen to some country-ish type shite (or classic rock, particularly Southern rock) for when you get to those 'middle of nowhere' stretches of road...but I didn't want to make a CD that was just half Rammstein and half, say, Johnny Cash...so I mixed it up a little...

Now, if this were a stoned road trip, substitute all the non-industrial tracks with any random mix of Slim Whitman songs and replace all the rock tracks with covers Rammstein has done or any of their good remixes...or TATU songs (but only in their native tongue...not the shitty English versions)...in this particular case, I would try to make the 'rock' stuff as reasonably Euro-trashy as possible...

1. "The Gift" by Godhead
There are so many Godhead tracks I could've chosen to start off my disc, but I went with this one because it's got a great riffs and I love The Method's programming...it stands out, but it's subtle...doesn't overpower the song. A great starter that I think most people (who like the rock) would be able to enjoy...

2. "Rock 'N Me" by Steve Miller Band
A classic rock tune about going places!...how fitting...and I love this song...rockin' music and Steve Miller has a great voice...The Dave Brockie Experience (the guys in GWAR sans the costumes) would always tag on a cover of this after they played the X-Cops's "You Fucked Up"...

3. "Mann Gegan Mann" by Rammstein
One of many Rammstein songs with a sort of double meaning...you can either take it as a man against man battle...or a man against man sausage fest...but the chorus and the interlude-type-thing in the middle of the song are some of the most driving (no pun intended) riffs they've ever composed...

4. "The Man Comes Around" by Johnny Cash
Now, who doesn't like Johnny Cash? At this point in the trip (considering the times I leave for road trips), I should be flying down the 101...heading towards Ventura County...still the city, but I'm vastly approaching the road through nowhere...might as well start the country/Southern stuff...and would choose the demo version of this song opposed to the album cut...

5. "Sturm" by Front Line Assembly
My favorite FLA song...kinda makes me wish the Twisted Metal tournament actually existed so I could kill people whilst listneing to it...creepy, dark, industrial...yummy...

6. "It Takes People Like You (to Make People Like Me)" by Buck Owens
I love Buck Owens...and this is one of his lighter/fluffier tunes...figured I needed something to bring me back to reality after Front Line Assembly...

7. "Das Modell" by Rammstein
A cover of a Kraftwerk tune...this is about as Euro-trashy as this particular compilation gets. Again, and no pun intended, but the riff is very fast and very driving...it's one of those songs you could drive 90mph to...

8. "Midnight Rider" by The Allman Brothers
Southern...fucking...rock...at it's finest. I don't even really feel I have to say anything else about this song...

9. "Decadent & Desperate" by Mortiis
Mortiis's music just gets me fucking AMPED...! That man's got so much energy and his music is like a sonic assault on your ears...just brutal...and awesome...one last screaming industrial track before our final offering:

10. "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd
The epic. I always have a copy of this song on hand when I drive long distances because I generally pass by a smattering of cows at some point...and I insist on listening to something white-trashy when I see cows...somehow "Freebird" became that song...

7 Comments:

Blogger Doug Murata said...

Vitamin B's Vacation from the Pokemon The First Movie soundtrack. I once listened to that on loop from L.A. to San Diego and back.

Now that I've shared that with you, are you sure you want me to list 9 other songs?

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Screw your rules!
1. Black Celebration the live version by Depeche Mode makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

2. Stripped (Depechemode Cover) by Raamstein (best cover i have ever heard)

3. Gia by Despina Vandi (because she makes me car dance)

4. Boys Of Summer by DJ Sammy (remix) because i love that song!

5. Ojos Asi' by Shakira (because her voice trips me out)

6. Bad Habit by Offspring because it makes me drive fast :p

7. Love Song by the Damned ... no reason needed. its the DAMNED.

8. Sheena's in a goth gang by the Cramps their best of is my usual road trip cd.

9. Aenema by TOOL it makes me drive fast and angry hehe

10. Hurt by NIN/Cash. doesnt matter which. both make me cry.

at first i thought i was gonna have a hell of a time with this but now i realize you're right... 10 isnt enough.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Doug - damn, "Vacation" for two hours?!? Normally, I would ask if there were any other CDs in the car, but knowing you... I think at this point we should all take guesses as to what the other nine songs would be...which remix(es) of "Fly Me to the Moon" would you include??? hehe... I'm actually morbidly curious as to what the other nine would be...it's like a train wreck...you can't help but watch... =)

Yasamin - nice list! Great mix of songs...and if I did a "Greatest Cover Songs" theme (hey, now there's a thought...), I would definitely put Rammstein's version of "Stripped" on there...I also really like Charlie Clouser's "Heavy Mental" mix of the track... I love "Hurt" as well (both versions), but I personally wouldn't want to be out in the middle of nowhere on some long stretch of highway listening to something that's just...so...depressing...! =)

Many thanks for the comments and participation...

11:00 AM  
Blogger Doug Murata said...

Actually, it was for 4 hours.

I don't think that Fly Me to the Moon would actually make it on there. If I'm driving alone, then it would probably be tracks from albums by The Black Mages. Only stuff from the games I've played (so, nothing from FF II, III, V, or X.)

If the wife is in the car, then I don't really have a say. (That's not true. I don't want a say. I just don't care enough about what I listen to to think that it really matters.)

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol picture my ass drivin that long stretch of desert between AZ and Cali in a blue 3000GT with HURT on repeat. yeah.. i did. lol by the time i got home, my eyes were more bloodshot then the potheads next door.

lucky i didnt kill anyone on the road.

when i busted the ex cheatin (ew ugly sight) i drove up the california coast (highway 1 and the 101 and so on) with Marilyn Manson Mechanical Animals on repeat. that whole album made me cry. lol

funny i ran outta gas just below pismo beach. taht was a great drive. :p

11:31 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

DUDE! The entire Mechanical Animals album on repeat?...after that experience? Damn... That's just...damn...

I could get into a whole giant discussion of that album, which I do think is a great album, but I must restrain myself. A great piece of work, but so very hauntingly depressing and emotionally exhausting...I swear, that album and Manson's "Man That You Fear"...the latter of which hasn't made me CRY cry yet, but I always feel my eyes get a little watery when I hear it... I just listened to the whole MA album on my way in to work Wednesday morning...no bullshit... After I listened to Fundamentally Loathesome I kinda just wanted to crash my car...

Interestingly enough, also on Wednesday, a friend sent me one of those surveys from a friend where it's 20 questions like "Have you ever had your heart broken?"..."How many kids do you want to have?"...well, one of the questions was "What song do you want played at your wedding?"...my answer: "I don’t want to get married...but if I had to choose? Iduno...Marilyn Manson’s "User Friendly"? A sample line from the song: 'She says 'I'm not in love, but I'm gonna fuck you 'til somebody better comes along'..." Needless to say, after the relationships I've had and the way things tend to go for me, I don't have a positive outlook on my romantic future...

3:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lets not talk relationships. you and i could compare asshole moments in love's history till the cows come home but i'll tell ya, im a harsh and ruthless bitch now and i owe it all to a few jackasses out there that just wont seem to die.

yeah i have no idea why his fans hate that cd so much. i love it. but im kinda depressing like that sometimes. yaknow? like i can be all techno j-pop one minute and hardcore classic punk the next then wake up the next morning and be all depressing. wow... im weird. but yeah i hear Disassociative and i get all teary eyed and by the time i reach The Last Day On Earth im cryin like a baby.

lol i have a love/hate relationship with those damned questionaires. my wedding and funeral song is always the same. Eulogy. by TOOL. :p

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home